To become a competent costs lawyer it is essential to have the skills and attributes to attend court to oppose or support a bill of costs or costs budget. Costs lawyers have rights of audience and are entitled to appear as an advocate in relation to costs disputes. In addition, under the Civil Procedure Rules 1998, a costs lawyer may be instructed as an expert by a litigant in person to advise on aspects of costs law and the litigant may recover any reasonable fees thereby incurred if he is awarded costs in his favour.
- Critically discuss the relevant communication skills and techniques used by an advocate.
- Explain the competency expectations in court etiquette.
- Demonstrate the ability to undertake advocacy in chambers.
- Critically discuss the importance and practice of negotiation in the legal sector.
- Demonstrate competency in basic negotiation skills.