This module is a legal practice module and covers the civil litigation system in England and Wales. You will be required to gain knowledge in civil litigation and will gain an understanding of the professional requirements and skills to run a civil file in practice.
This module aims to enable you to develop foundation level knowledge, understanding and critical awareness of the civil procedure to ensure the best outcome for a client.
NOTE: The 113th Update to the Civil Procedure Rules introduces changes in a number of areas and Amendments to Practice Directions are contained in the 113th Update to the Civil Procedure Rules. The changes come into force variously on 31 March 2020 and 06 April 2020.
- Explain the context of civil litigation within the English and Welsh legal system
- Identify and apply the law on commencing and defending actions in civil proceedings
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 and the stages of Civil Litigation
- Explain the circumstances in which it is possible to conclude an action before trial
- Demonstrate an understanding of the reasons for an interim application
- Identify and explain the procedures leading up to and within a trial, including the possible outcomes and costs consequences