This module covers the contractual relationship between lawyers and their clients. Knowledge of the law and rules which apply to lawyer and client costs will enable you to ensure that there is a valid retainer with the client and that the lawyer can be paid for their work.
- Describe the regulatory framework of the legal service market
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the enforceability of retainers, including the creation and termination thereof
- Distinguish between costs payable to a client’s own lawyer and those payable between the parties
- Explain the formalities that apply to a lawyer’s bill
- Apply knowledge of how a lawyer may recover costs with reference to liens