Personal injury and clinical negligence can often be the source of a large number of instructions received by a Costs Lawyer. A Costs Lawyer may be instructed to draft a bill of costs or assist in detailed assessment proceedings or costs management. It is important that Costs Lawyers are aware of the mechanics of a claim for injury and the various issues that may arise whilst pursuing such a claim.
- Explain personal injury law and procedure and clinical negligence law and procedure
- Apply the law and practice to presenting legal arguments on costs matters in personal injury and clinical negligence claims
- Explain the process of proving negligence or breach of duty and the process of proving causation
- Explain the process of valuing a claim for personal injury
- Display an understanding of the Limitation Act 1980 and the implications of the date of knowledge
- Explain the process of appeal in relation to a claim for personal injury or clinical negligence